Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Future Reading Plans

While this may be a bit of a stretch, much of it will actually be read by the end of summer and into the fall season.  Many folks have asked what I'm doing now with all my "free time" since I graduated from Seminary.  Well...I'm doing lots of reading as well as will be doing some teaching at several schools in the region (colleges and seminary) over the next year.  Some of the following reading is for the courses I will be teaching, some is for my church and some is just for fun:
Leviticus
John E. Hartley, Leviticus (WBC 1992); Jacob Milgrom, Leviticus: A Book of Ritual and Ethics (CC 2004); Mark F. Rooker, Leviticus (NAC 2000); Allan Ross, Holiness to the Lord: A Guide to the Exposition of the Book of Leviticus (2006); Gordon J. Wenham, The Book of Leviticus (NICOT 1979).
Deuteronomy
Walter Brueggemann, Deuteronomy (AOTC 2001); Duane Christensen, Deuteronomy (WBC 2 vols. 1991, 1999); Peter C. Craigie, The Book of Deuteronomy (NICOT 1976); J. G. McConville, Deuteronomy (AOT 2002).
Former Prophets (Joshua-2 Kings)
Robert B. Chisholm, Interpreting the Historical Books: An Exegetical Handbook (2006); Terence E. Fretheim, Deuteronomic History (1983); Victor P. Hamilton, Handbook on the Historical Books (2008); L. Thomas Holdcroft, The Historical Books (2000); David M. Howard Jr., An Introduction to the Old Testament Historical Books (2007); Martin Noth, The Deuteronomistic History (JSOTSup 2nd ed.1991); Marvin E. Tate, From Promise to Exile: The Former Prophets (1999).
Psalms
Derek Kidner, Psalms (TOTC 2vols. 1981); John Goldingay, Psalms (BECOT 3vols. 2008).
Matthew
D. A. Carson, Matthew (EBC 1984); R. T. France, The Gospel of Matthew (NICNT 2005); Grant Osborne, Matthew (ZEC 2010); David Turner, Matthew (BECNT 2008).
Other
Marcus J. Borg and N. T. Wright, The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions (2000).

Of course, none of this includes the volumes of Barth and Bonhoeffer which I continually am wading through, but it gives a brief look at my reading schedule for the next few months.  I am thoroughly excited about reading these volumes and all the treasurers to be uncovered in the intensive study of Scripture and theology.

7 comments:

  1. My reading queue is as long, but I don't have a time-limit. Some of those look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been very choosy in these especially knowing I only can afford so many books and only have so much time to read them and make notes. If you have any recommendations on these topics/books send them my way... :-)

      Delete
  2. The Borg/Wright book is a good one! (In fact, that may have been the first Wright I ever read.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I've been really enjoying the book by Borg/Wright. It is refreshing to read such a book that can be written irenically despite the tremendous differences on understanding Jesus and the Gospel accounts.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:17 PM

    I haven't looked - but does the Prov Library have everything you're planning to reference in your teaching? Have you let your faithful librarian know titles you want added to the collection? :) Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure yet. I'd have to do some checking since I'm using books that I own at this point (though I'm also using journal articles that are accessible at Prov) Terry. I'll have to get you some books to add to the collection as well...such as ALL of the Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works (once the final volume is published...I'll have the complete set and that would be great if Prov could as well ;-) ).

      Delete
    2. And Prov has the ABSOLUTE BEST librarian anywhere around. ;-)

      Delete

Your comments and questions are always appreciated. :-)